Sunday, November 1, 2009

Half Marathon

Since I've been waiting for the scar on my back to heal and staying away from weightlifting, I've gotten into the habit of long Sunday walks. That sounds much more romantic than it is - rather than gazing at autumn leaves and crisp blue skies, I'm plugged into a treadmill at the health club watching football. With my iPod stacked with tunes, a book and magazine in hand, there are several options in case the game becomes a blowout.

Today for the second time I decided to walk for an entire game. The routine is to walk 30 minutes, take a quick water/bathroom break, then get back on. I find that I need about a bottle of water (16 oz.) for every half hour.

NFL games run about three hours apiece. The first time I tried this, I clipped along at about 4 mph for the first two hours, then backed down to 3 mph to give my feet a rest. Today I was feeling good at the 2-hour point not only because the Bears were en route to a 30-6 win over the hapless Browns, but physically too. An hour later with the game wrapped up I shut down the treadmill and started to leave, then some quick math caused me to realize that I was within 15 minutes of walking a half marathon.

So here I sit, having covered two half marathons in my life. Both times it was pretty spontaneous, once during a jog on a beautiful spring day, and now during a beautiful fall day (at least, that's what I'm told).

No comments: