Monday, December 21, 2009

The Anti-Peeve

How many synonyms are there for a pet peeve? An irritant? Trigger? Sore spot? Downer?

Today I decided to enjoy an "upper" that could just as easily have slipped by. I was hurrying to a meeting in my car. This side street eventually would intersect with a heavily-traveled main road.

Heading toward that main drag, I slipped my car into the center lane, which allowed me to pass some slower traffic on the right. That, in turn, got me to the intersection light just as it was turning yellow. As I glided into the right hand turn, I hugged the right hand lane in anticipation of the rush of traffic that would be unleashed behind me in a few instants. Quickly, I spied a single car a hundred feet ahead crawling along with its hazard lights. Had I not been alert, I'd have been pinned behind it at 25 miles an hour while cars flew past at 50. As it was, I swiftly changed lanes and cruised to work, just in time for the kick-off meeting.

Why do pet peeve incidents linger with us, and uppers evaporate as fast from our minds? Not today!

No comments: