Saturday, December 12, 2009

Most Difficult People List

Who would be on your "Top 5 Most Difficult People" list? A boss maybe? A neighbor? An uncle? City councilman? Lunch lady?

Today I tried to mail a package at FedEx Office here in town. Basically it was a check transferring enough funds from one source to another that I didn't want to just drop it into the U.S. mail without some kind of certification.

In short, the employee there was difficult and my attempt failed. My nature is to take rather than to dish in these situations, so I stewed in disappointment all the way home.

And now the moment's passed. I can regroup, come up with a new plan, get the job done. And though I felt treated disrespectfully, I treated her respectfully. So a failed errand turned into an extremely satisfying episode of patience. In the end, I think the way we act is more important than the things we achieve.

No comments: