Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cubs Chat

A friend sent me some thoughts as we traded e-mails about the Cubs:

"I think you’re right about Hendry, I guess I trust him – this IS the most consistently winning Cubs era since the 30’s, after all – but I can’t see how, even in a best-case scenario, they could seriously compete for a World Series next year. Or really any year, as long as the Yankees and Red Sox can just keep buying up everyone. But with returns to form from the injured folk, and if we can import another solid starter, the division should be easily in grasp. As for Milton, I think he’ll be gone, but I think we’re going to be paying for almost all of his salary. Which is still better than having him."

It sure is nice to be in an era unlike my youth, where the Cubs' problems have not to do with failure to spend money, but failure to spend money wisely. I'm serious. I'd much rather have this. Gone is clubhouse cornerstone Mark Derosa, here is moody Milton Bradley - at a significantly higher salary, and whose main talent is to basically occupy two roster spots at the same time due to his frequent need for a sub on account of his balky legs. This a year after pouring $48 million toward good-fielding, moderate-hitting Kosuke Fukudome. Gone is cornerstone Kerry Wood, here is the mysterious Kevin Gregg, who lost the closer job after a few too many instances of mistaking the 9th inning for Home Run Derby.

Fortunately, recent sports history tells me that almost anyone can win in the right year. And it helps to have the raw talent to start with. The Cubs' extended run of good health and play in 2008 brought nearly 100 victories. Derosa and Rich Harden's departures are significant, but shouldn't translate to a 15-victory falloff, especially if Bradley does stay and have a good year, and Carlos Zambrano brings a prime season.

Finally, and this is the key, I am available to manage them. It just isn't fair to Lou Piniella's 66-year-old bones to drag him out there for another year. He's the 14th-winningest manager of all time and he deserves a rest. For just $500,000 - a tenth of his salary - I'd bring a unique blend of leadership, youth and passion to my boyhood team. My one year of experience coaching YMCA basketball and brief stint as a T-ball coach at age 12 would give me instant credibility with the players, not to mention my 7 years managing a tax department comprised primarily of women. Long nights playing fantasy baseball prove my unmatched passion for the game and analysis. I play to win. Sign me up!

No comments: