Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sign Of Things Not To Come

Dena and I were on the expressway and passed one of those blue signs. You know the type: "Gas - This Exit," accompanied by a half-dozen familiar logos of service stations. Or, for those without logos, such as the Yogi Bear Campground, the heading "Attractions - This Exit," followed by uninspired block lettering declaring its presence.

So what does it mean when you see an "Attractions" sign and then it's BLANK? Surely the visitor's bureau didn't come up with this idea. "You might as well keep on going. Figured we'd just shoot straight with you: we got nothing. Couldn't come up with a lick, sorry. A couple gas stations. If you really have to fill up, go for it. But we'd hate for you to waste any of it driving around looking for fun."

I was so stunned that I didn't even notice the town's name. Maybe that's exactly what they hoped would happen.

1 comment:

freid207 said...

Hmmmm...I pass that sign nearly daily and know exactly what it is...the picture of my on the sign is forthcoming. What could be a better "attraction" than my frazzled mug shot on a highway sign?