Saturday, March 27, 2010

Four Sets Of Ten

After a little binge snacking last night, I decided to advance my 10-mile run planned for Sunday and do some calorie-burning this morning. Running on five hours of sleep, I figured it'd also shake off the morning brain fog.

No visions of greatness here... a quiet 10 minute mile pace was slow enough to allow me to read magazines, and the beauty of treadmill trotting flowered again as I was able to make a couple quick bathroom/water breaks at the 4 and 7 mile marks. Throw in some ESPN and a friend on a neighboring machine and the 100 minutes passed quickly.

Since I'd skipped Saturday morning basketball in order to do this, I at least decided to shoot until I hit ten free throws in a row a couple of times. Except for the fact that running leaves my arms cold for reasons that sports physiologists can probably explain, my stroke was dead on. It took less than twenty minutes for me to accomplish the feat.

Then I decided to make ten three-pointers before calling it a day.

Man, I was on FIRE! I made seven in a row. I think the thousand free throws from the last few weeks have refined my follow through in a way that translates immediately beyond the arc. Just a matter of adjusting leg strength.

At this rate, I'll have a shot at nationals. Anyone know the minimum age for the Senior Olympics?

No comments: