Sunday, March 28, 2010

High/Low Week 12 2010

This was a solid, successful week. I think the biggest danger is complacency. When I'm on my game, I pick up on temptations to participate in or initiate negative or disrespectful conversation. When I sit here and fail to come up with them, it means that I probably let myself slide into one of them almost instinctively.

We had dinner with Coach Goldman this Tuesday. It was the first time that Dena got a chance to meet and socialize with him, and I was glad for the chance for her to meet such a fine person.

As the week went on, there were strings of professional successes. Tyson made some great progress in a bit of career development. Our department head Gerry chipped in some support on another matter that will probably strengthen our unit. Another team project was completed when we finished inventorying what had once been an unknown wasteland of files. And the training program on CVAT that we'll be conducting for a dozen people took on a firmer and encouraging shape, with plenty of time for adjustments yet.

I was contacted by Becky Mentzer from the ISU Honors Program. This might help meet the 2010 goal of finding an organization to be involved in during retirement. I'd approached her to schedule lunch and find out what kind of volunteer needs they anticipate, figuring that any long-term plan is best set up by making introductions well in advance.

We settled on a "full size" car, a la Chevy Impala or the like, to be our ride out to North Carolina for vacation. The reservation is made... let the countdown begin in earnest!

No comments: