Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Would You Please Read This Post Because Of The Lesson It Contains?

"A social experiment involved someone attempting to cut in line in front of people using a copying machine. 'Excuse me, may I use the Xerox copy machine?' A little over half the people agreed. The fascinating thing is that she found she could get almost everyone to comply when they changed the phrasing of the request to: 'Excuse me, may I use the Xerox machine because I have to make copies?' The reason was nonsensical. Of course you need a copying machine in order to make copies. So why does it work so effectively? Because the word because triggers an unconscious acceptance that a valid explanation will follow. We hear something and we have almost a Pavlovian response to accept it. Whether the sentence makes sense or not, we assume it does and, therefore, we don't bother to process the explanation." - David Lieberman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so next time I should tell her "No, wait your turn, BECAUSE I've got a student waiting."?? GOT it! Thanks for the heads up! :)