Wednesday, March 10, 2010

High/Low Week 9 2010

This week's moment of brutal honesty came, predictably, after 10 p.m. one night. Our championship basketball game was slated for the following night, and Dena had been able to attend the semi-final game a couple days before since the tourney was in Washington and she works part-time in Morton. So I took the team bus out there, but drove back with her in her car to the school, where she dropped me off to pick up my car.

For the final, I had a great alternate plan. Since it was a little later in the evening than the previous game, I could just come home from work and we would ride out together.

Her response (paraphrased) was: "Huh?"

Impatience grabbed me. "I know it's late at night and harder to understand things, but..." and proceeded to lay out the plan again. By the end, of course, realizing how stupid of a plan it truly was, as she was going to be in Morton and so the idea of us driving to the game from Normal was absurd.

Moving on...

Someone mentioned to me a half marathon taking place in Champaign on May 1. I came across a three month training schedule and saw that during this week, my "long run" would be five miles. I tried it, and did it successfully, on Sunday. Basically you up the long run by one mile each week between now and then. I may jump in and do this now that the hoops season is over and I've got a little more time on my hands.

Always a pleasure to be on the back side of that first warming-weather set of sniffles, which kept me lying low most of the weekend but is gone without a trace now.

I've developed a comfy lead in the fantasy basketball pool! This would make three straight championship seasons - baseball, football and basketball - a sort of fantasy grand slam.

And finally on the flip side, it was fun to have Dena come out to those basketball games. She, Coach and I will have a dinner together sometime in the next month to celebrate a very worthwhile season and our new friendship.

No comments: