Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy In The Eye Of The Beholder

As I settled into the driver's seat after exiting the bank this morning, it struck me how unusually happy I was. Not a random happiness, but one specifically tied to accomplishing a series of minor errands.

Why so happy?

I'd picked up a new supply of checks, and stopped by Men's Wearhouse and Barnes & Noble to use up a few gift certificates. Gift certificates are both perfect and flawed as a present for me. On one hand, it's free stuff of my own choosing at my favorite stores! On the other hand, it involves shopping.

I'm from the species of humanity for whom shopping is less intriguing than flossing. Except for consumables, I may walk into a store once a month and it usually involves gym shoes. It has something to do with finances, perhaps, but that wouldn't explain the senseless deaths of expired gift cards that passed away from neglect while sitting in the front compartment of my car.

I realized that this feeling of satisfaction and relief, having completed the task of driving out and evaluating the goods, was the highest of the week. And I ran a half marathon two days ago! I guess that's why cavemen were so handy to have around. Go kill a mastodon, other physical stuff? No prob. Just don't ask me to gather the right color moss to decorate the cave.

No comments: