Sunday, April 4, 2010

High/Low Week 13 2010

Coach John Wooden equates success with doing all you can to become the very best you can be. So it's okay to have a few turnovers. Being human, mistakes happen. For example, failing to cancel an insurance policy timely such that for the rest of the year due to IRS regulations we'll have to pay premiums on two health policies. Or ordering the wrong-sized checks for our condominium association treasurer's log.

What's with the diet recently? I've been letting myself slide, I think, in anticipation of all the calories I'll be dumping during the half marathon this week.

I've not been way up on a high horse recently, but enough so that I can clearly see that I need to step down the ladder of humility a few pegs before I break something. Tiny signs add up, a cutting joke here, a mildly cocky comment there. Next week would be a good time to tighten the screws.

This week I successfully explored a relationship with the ISU Honors Program as a possible organization to be involved with in retirement. Successful exploration in this case meant determining that I should move on to others. The polite message was that my skills could probably be better used in other places. They may well be right. What drew me here originally was a reminiscent sense of community that made living in the Honors House a wonderful experience, one that may not be recaptured from an administrative view point, or at least under current leadership. Plus, there is the subtle obstacle of finding a parking place! In that sense "volunteering" at ISU on a regular basis requires a monetary donation as well. I've turned my thoughts toward Heartland Community College, or the ISU Alumni Office, or a hospital, or retirement home, or... on we go boldly exploring.

Jack and I have completed our fantasy baseball draft! Opening Day is today, basically extended through tomorrow, with beautiful weather and me taking a vacation day. Exciting...

Dena and I got to go for a couple of nice long runs now that the weather has returned to suitable for me.

At work, I remained caught up this week, got a nice raise, and also am looking forward to teaching a class on Tuesday.

Living the dream yet one more week!

No comments: