Saturday, April 17, 2010

High/Low Week 14 2010

Slim pickings on the low point this week. Here's one: I fell asleep in the La-Z-Boy on Tuesday evening and overslept the first half hour of the condo board meeting. Fortunately, when I walked in they were in the midst of an intense discussion that carried on for a few extra minutes, and by the time it quieted down we were past the allowable teasing period... more like everyone forgot.

Otherwise I was steeled against the temptation to complain. This was a better week than usual of recognizing my own peeves and diffusing them easily in advance using a bit of mental redirection.

I played hoops three times this week and my body feels great! Not even any of the usual cuts on the arms that result from taloned players and my arms-up defensive style.

Work was fantastic. Two of my three employees were out of the office, yet there were no flare-ups. In fact, I had the chance to work ahead preparing some lesson plans for a class that I'm teaching. There was time to dig into some of my team's performance statistics and note that our production is up 30% over last year, with 30% faster time service. Time to review several promising resumes for interviews next week to hire a programmer.

Has there ever been a better weather week in April? Five days poolside reading a fun 700-page basketball book.

I got word that Jack's back to normal health after a Job-like ten-day stretch of strep throat, vomiting, tonsillitis, headaches, and mono. Not to mention the recent California earthquake.

It occurred to me to file for a State Farm Good Neighbor Grant for the NCHS basketball program. $500 as a "match" for my providing 40+ hours of volunteer service.

The capper: A "Date Night" date night with Dena and Dona. Another chance to howl with laughter at the movie's cab driver scene. Engaging conversation over chai tea and lemon cake at Barnes & Noble until closing time. Another round of enjoyable conversation back at the condo for two hours.

These are the weeks that are especially important to dwell on how fortunate life can be. Swells like this come and go, and imprinting them into the mind builds a sturdy internal fortress against bad breaks. Thanks big guy!

No comments: