Thursday, May 19, 2011

Inside The ACTing Studio

It appears that the going rate for ACT exam prep training is about $7 an hour. That's a bit surprising to me on one hand, since I've heard anecdotally that math tutors can charge $20/hr for a 1-on-1 session. I presume that's to help someone pass, say, Algebra 1. A single class contributes a whim to a person's GPA, which is one measure that broadens a student's options when applying for college. Meanwhile the ACT, for better or worse, is another key measure that colleges look to. So pound for pound, a single question on the ACT means more to a student's future than one on an algebra test. That $7 is the market rate for an hour of ACT instruction speaks to the group (i.e. less individualized) format, and perhaps that the rates I've seen are charged by public schools.

I'm thinking about enrolling in one of these 12-hour sessions to learn the instructors' approach. I'd like to teach an ACT prep class someday.

No comments: