Saturday, May 28, 2011

Just Rain Clouds, Not A Falling Sky

Just before heading home from work last night I got a call from someone on my team. She said that we had sent out a quote to an agent indicating that a customer was entitled to a certain amount of money, which also happened to be an incorrect amount. Now the customer had surrendered their policy but only received a fraction of the amount we quoted. What should we do? I was to be briefed with more details and asked to render a decision the following morning.

I started to write a note to my boss asking for his opinion, then stopped. Then started again, then stopped. I realized that what I was doing was amplifying a potential problem rather than an actual problem. The more I typed, the more it felt like a business version of that old-fashioned worry that I extinguish increasingly well in my personal life. Let's wait and see what the real situation is before reacting to it.

It turned out that the amount of money at stake was small, and that no opinion was needed - clearly a settlement payment was required. So rather than introducing anxiety to my boss's already crammed mind, I was able to execute and move on, sparing him the grief.

More than that, I cast the issue from my mind during the evening in between. I've lived through enough potentially worrisome situations to know that things usually work out fine in the end. I credit it to God's plan of success for us. Rain is uncomfortable at first but enriching for the earth. The sky is rarely falling.

No comments: