Monday, May 16, 2011

It's Not Easy Being Green

Dena had suggested I submit a demo to Illinois Audio Productions. They are the source for the voice talent for First Farmers that's used in their "on hold" music. By getting into their database, I'd have a shot at supplying FFSB's messaging. After getting some good feedback from FFSB on the first commercial, I got a reality check from the pro at Illinois Audio:

"Hi Joe,

As for my usual roster, I feel your read is a little 'green' for us….but wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Curt Answers"

(Not his real name.)

I've been on the other side of the table/screen long enough to get it. People good at math try out an actuarial exam and fallen short. Baseball players dominate their high school league and flame out at low A ball in the majors. Resumes cross our desks that lack polish. You can't just coast on raw amateur talent. Success takes trial and error, and the exercise of developing and submitting this demo produced a little of both. Someone down the road will benefit from it.

No comments: