Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Natural Week In Thanks

Few things help boost the spirit of thankfulness like a holiday designed especially for it.

I'd have to say that the most important aspect of the holiday for me is the two days off work and the extended school break that accompanies it.

Being away from the office simulates for me what it may be like to be my own boss someday. Wake up when the body's ready, sleep until refreshed. Be productive in stretches, play in stretches. Exercise leisurely. Vary the order from day to day as I feel like it. Living this dream is only possible because of the many breaks that God's given to me throughout my academic and working career. All I can think of to justify those future prospects is to celebrate the blessings that are paving the way for it, and to be open to whatever suggestions are laid before me.

One of the ways I read God's intent for me is to listen to and be aware of the changing circumstances around me which might signal the next chapter. After six wonderful months I felt that I had been used to my fullest potential with the church band, and that it was time to move on. Spending extra time with family on Sundays is one of the rewards, and as best I can tell the band will be better off with the opportunity to find a replacement who will fit their growing and changing needs. Meanwhile I've thrived under the chance to get closer to my theater friends Sean and Jennifer Stevens, to meet several other friendly people, and to exercise my singing voice somewhere other than the shower (which has surely been a blessing to Dena, who has probably also enjoyed songs other than the Hairspray soundtrack coming out of the bathroom).

Got to note how funny all of my family households are. Whether it's here, Goodfield, or Bloomingdale, I'm surrounded with crack-ups and good times. With so many disjointed, broken, or uninspiring families in the world, how did I get so lucky as to be inserted into such rich ones? Easy answer.

For example, I fell asleep the afternoon after our first basketball game. When I woke up three hours later (yea it was a great nap), the Christmas tree was up in our living room. Dena is so hard-working, especially for charitable reasons. She spent several hours this week with one friend who was sick, and more with a friend going through a divorce. I could easily list more that she does every week. Last night she started feeling achy and tired... it was the least I could do in thanks to attend to her every need. She brings out the better side of my nature.

With frosty days in play, I'm thankful for our carport. Not a necessity, as we've done some light house hunting this week, but a creature comfort that keeps my toes a little warmer on workday mornings.

Game victory is everywhere this week. Our sophomore basketball team won its Thanksgiving tournament 3-0 including a dramatic overtime game, and the varsity won its first game last night in impressive fashion as well. I think that's the first time I've ever won three games in one day. Then Alabama and Notre Dame took care of business to keep alive a championship showdown possibility. My fantasy basketball team is rocking first place and I've scooped up some great pickups off the free agent waiver wire.

The week off of tutoring was a refreshing break on my mind, and next week I'm not only ready to jump back in but have also picked up a new student to replace one that had dropped off.

We are into December and haven't had a flake of snow so far. When completing the condo association financial reports this week, which continue to project health for the next ten years, it was fine to see the snow removal line item at an all-time low. And of course, it makes for nicer walks to the car.

I'm thankful for all of you, faithful Hidden Bloggers. This innocent journal for good mental health has unexpectedly become a source of some of the same for others, friends and strangers. As long as it gives you a fraction of the happiness to read it as it does me to write it, then God's purpose is being served for us all.

No comments: