Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Remedy For Troubles

"When you realize that not only are trouble and suffering inevitable, but serve a definite creative purpose as well you are upgrading your philosophy of human existence."

I'd personally interpret "creative purpose" to mean the lessons that we can learn from those patches of time where things go wrong.

What can I learn from the interpersonal goof-ups when I let my anger get the best of me? A philosophy of "Is it really that bad, couldn't it be much worse?" has helped me a lot in times like these.

The disappointment of losing a basketball game last night leaves a bit of a hangover, left unchecked. I decided to bury it by doing a little grocery shopping. Amazing how simple acts of progress can wipe away a dirty memory.

There's also the interpretation that "creative purpose" is the purpose of the creator of the universe.

The stories of suffering of others touches me easily, in ways that make me profoundly grateful for my own life.

Just the other day I heard of a woman whose childhood was troubled by a drunken father who eventually caused her mother to raise the three girls on her own. Those days of working two jobs and managing all the parenting responsibilities sound consuming in ways that I've never had to endure.

Plus, all troubles are temporary. They'll pass.

No comments: