Sunday, November 18, 2012

Stepping Back: The Week In Thanks

Thanksgiving is coming at a good time, since this week was probably too shallow in terms of my actively being thankful for what I have. So this post comes along timely too!

It was a reveal of how naturally resistant to change I can be.

I entered the week with some upbeat expectations about a project going on at work, only to have the project manager overrule me in a fashion I found questionable. I wasn't getting my way, my temperature peaked for about an hour or two before returning.

I work for the largest automobile insurance company in America, with increasingly funny commercials and a commitment to stay cutting edge technologically. When a light bulb burns out, when I need an ergonomic review, when my computer's not working, help is just a responsive phone call away. The benefits are tremendous. My co-workers are bright and friendly. Small setback aside, I have extensive autonomy and am entrusted with the careers of a couple dozen people. I get to exercise my teaching and organizational skills often. And I got a more than fair performance evaluation last year.

I was in a meeting related to our church band that imposed some changes upon us that will be personally difficult.

The meeting also served as a reminder of what a selfless and open-minded group of people this is. I've been in enough bands to know the challenges that can arise. The team discussed its possibilities joyfully in the spirit of their unified mission. There were no naysayers in the group, which is impressive in any organization of this size.

Notre Dame and Alabama both won convincingly, and the two teams above them in the college football rankings both lost, reigniting their championship chances.

Had a typical, fun long chat with Jack as he gets ready to improve his station in life with a move to a better apartment. His softball teams continue to compete well thanks in no small part to his elite pitching. And his wingspan is shorter than mine.

Thanks, God, for giving me Dena so that I didn't get killed going through that intersection earlier this week (read through my earlier posts if that confuses you).

In the wake of the elections and our viewing of the Lincoln movie, I'm thankful for democracy, that beautiful, flawed thing that provides so many freedoms that are perfect for a guy like me.

A friend referred a book entitled Habits to me. I'm thankful that I have enough self-awareness and self-learning to use my abilities enjoyably, and minimize my mental weaknesses. Also for the ability to read and write.

So glad to have neighbors who organize football games once in a while, like on a sunny day like today.

Basketball ushers in more opportunity to grow as a person by being around the examples of the NCHS coaching staff and what is turning out to be a really fun group of players.

With all that said, I will be enjoying some couch time this evening as I get used to the long days of the season, recharging my batteries to launch into another blessed week.

No comments: