Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fun With Problems?

"People who enjoy problems do better at solving them."

True enough. In describing my job I tell people that what I do is solve puzzles all day - no two days alike, often there are unfamiliar issues that land on the table.

Still, I'd say for the most part that true problems are named that for a reason, if they were fun then they'd be called something else.

I might turn that phrase around somewhat:

"People who enjoy picturing success do better at working towards it."

Last night I easily hit the sack around 9:00. Today and tomorrow are 12-hour days, and that's often going to be my life for the next few months. I wouldn't ordinarily choose a path like that, but I see it as a small developmental step toward what I want to achieve within the next few years. That long-term picture casts the short-term effort in a happy light.

No comments: