Sunday, September 29, 2013

Memories And Medicine: The Week In Thanks

It's been a week of pain and healing. Fortunately, I'd say, it's of the physical nature rather than emotional. The "kidney stone" kidney from back in May has been flaring up for six days. During a run this week I rolled an ankle and had some pounding knees. A thumb's had a sore ligament. A crown has been achy. Not only have most of those pains been easing (some gone completely), but I can trust that this body God's given me has near-miraculous tradition of fixing itself. With an assist from aspirin, cold compress, sensitivity toothpaste, blood test and CT scan, natch.

Of course, the gift of time and rest helps a body recover too. Retirement's afforded the luxury of an afternoon on the couch with my feet up, watching a marathon of "The League." This week I had one student cancel at the last minute, and another new prospect didn't show at all. In those moments I can be thankful that our ability to eat is not burdened by depending on others like this. It's also allowed me to fully enjoy the art of a good mid-afternoon nap; by the time my evening schedule kicks off my energy's peaking and mind is sharp, which is extremely helpful in teaching.

I should also celebrate the maladies I did not contract this week. I spent 90 minutes around a coach so sick he'd been on 3 hours of sleep for five nights. Today I sang between two ladies a-sneezin'. Yet I sit here completely clear-nosed and with a tickle-free throat.

I got a new student referral from a former co-worker at State Farm, yet another piece of fruit from my time there. It gives me a chance to try out my newest tool for customer relations - the thank-you note with business card and small gift enclosed.

When one of your students gets 100% on his first statistics test, it's a rush for a tutor!

I'm thankful for the GRE (grad school entrance exam). It's a required test that can be greatly improved by mastering some test-taking strategies. Perfect for a tutor; I start with a new student on Monday.

Tonight begins a small group study with Eastview Church, to talk about what it means to be a "witness" for Christianity. Actually to be what they're calling a "dangerous witness." Outlets to meet people are exciting, especially when it seems to dangle the possibility that I might be stealth-attacked by ninjas when I enter. Or better yet, that I will be trained to use pointy objects in dazzling ways.

From this "Open" study I did have a favorite concept, that the most powerful witness of our beliefs comes through the way we live our lives. Whether they be religious or secular, we don't need to push our principles onto others through talk. If we live them, and others admire them, then in time behaviors will change.

Sadly, the technician who's done pedicures for me for the last few years is moving on to different work. How many in the salon business enjoy talking about sports more than just about anything else? How many have a near-photographic memory of the things you talked about a weeks ago? She's amazingly qualified at what she does, and I can only be grateful for the time and service I was able to have from her.
 Today and this whole week has been another parade of sunny, pleasant days for outdoor reading. Some rain moved in last night, but the timing was ideal - just as we were sitting in the hot tub at Brett Cottone and Wendy Baugh's house at 11 p.m. during last night's Spelling Bee reunion party. So lucky to have been chosen for that cast and that play. Watching the video cracked us all up almost as if we were seeing it for the first time. Just a caring, creative, hard-working group of people and a remarkably witty script.

This week was Lori Short's birthday, which reminded us of three hijinks-filled months as roomies fresh out of college. Surrounded by junky cars, keg-pumping, music-blasting frenzy, it gave us a real taste of the kind of home we did not want to have. Not to mention innovative interior design like the random-pillowed "comfort corner" for guests to crash in. I would absolutely do it over again.

Alabama shut out Mississippi to move to 4-0 and keep their #1 ranking. My fantasy baseball team is rolling toward victory in the third-place match. I'm YouTubing a bunch of clips on basketball post moves so that, you know, I can teach them.

It's been a record-breaking month for Hidden Blog. Not only did it power past 6,000 page views this month for the first time ever but nearly broke 7,000. So in final thanks, to all of you readers and robots who somehow linked here, and as ever, may your time here keep feedin' what you're needin'.

No comments: