Monday, September 23, 2013

Spacious Places: The Week In Thanks

America is the land of wide-open spaces, you know? You can hit the Midwestern states and roll through hours of nearly nothing but fields as far as the eye can see. Even in cities there's more than enough room to cruise through huge vehicles in spacious lanes. Paris, Tokyo, New Delhi are all congested by small cars in awkwardly winding lanes. That's our America: land of the free movement.

The Leadership McLean County selection committee chose a high-spirited group of 31 people who made the most of our opening retreat at beautified Timber Pointe (Easter Seals) camp on Thursday and Friday. Not everything went according to plan, and the tap dancing is part of the leadership adventure. And the wisdom of God's experience in similar situations has brought me to appreciate that journey.

Just as it was time to go outdoors for our three-hour team-building course, the rainy skies gave way to mild 75 degree temperatures with expanses of blue high above the cover of ample trees.

Plus, unlike the camp down the lake, we didn't get any cases of West Nile virus. Which is nice.

At this time of year, I think we should also fall on our knees with gratefulness that squirrels aren't carnivorous.

This wouldn't have been possible if Chuck Rowe from Heartland hadn't generously taken my tutoring shift at Heartland. I was able to repay the favor today. Teamwork is a blessing.

It also wouldn't have been possible without the dedication and talents of Becky Ropp and Shari Lauer who assembled the retreat's details.


This week I finished a book on the 1970 New York Knicks, one of the most cohesive teams in NBA history. The legendary return to the court in game 7 by center/MVP Willis Reed despite a torn hip is on YouTube, and I was uplifted to watch the game in its entirety. Just as hoops season inches within two months, these create visions of what can be. And in the case of open gyms, I am ever grateful for Advil and what it prevents coming to be.

Other teams are flourishing. My fantasy baseball team lasted to the final four, and I'm glad that Jack and I got to do it together (and of course, that I vanquished him in the head-to-head playoff matchup). My fantasy football team raced to a 2-0 start, and the surprising Bears to a 3-0 start. Even my ISU Redbirds christened their new stadium with a win. Considering that my high school went bankrupt, new construction is an encouraging sign for the future.

Dena's future's been brighter this week herself, as she's embarked on a quilting class and taken up an oath to train for a spring half-marathon. I'm glad whenever I see her offset her workaday nature with enriching hobbies.

Plenty to sing about - and with the talented Shelby Miller joining the LifeTeen band with us at Epiphany Catholic Church, with as full a sound as ever.


No comments: