Sunday, November 9, 2014

6,000 Days And Counting: The Week In Thanks

Once again God's delivered two new students into the fold. I'm in happily unfamiliar territory, with 30 hours of scheduled private tutoring for the upcoming week. Only a year ago I imagined the upside being 20 hours per week. The adage "be fruitful and multiply" has seldom rung more true. Plus Normal Community High School has added me as a preferred tutor on their web site, give my name out at parent-teacher conferences, and run through my business cards like water. It's been a rich time of serving others, and of course satisfying to help afford some retirement comforts.

Best left for another post, but... we lost Cupcake for about eight hours, then found her. The brightness she brings to our lives was starkly clear that day when we pictured a world without her.

The band learned today that the church is thinking of investing some money into it, such as by new technology to help. That kind of material affirmation of being on the right path is rare and deeply appreciated. The pastor's commitment to total church renewal is motivating.

I'm down to eight more work days (i.e. four weeks) as a Heartland tutor. The memories are fond, one of which was this week when a new tutor interviewed me after observing me at work with two accounting students. It's soothing to be able to make a difference in any kind of mentoring way, even if the interview was mandated.

So happy for my many theater friends in RENT, and the sold out performances they undoubtedly rocked to the hilt!

Random person of thanks: Scott Hillegass is a role model of friendship to his wife, to us and others. He's sincere, funny, and devoted to the well-being of others ahead of himself.

Illinois has a new governor. Change is welcome in a floundering state.

I did a little math to determine that Dena and I recently crossed our 6,000th dailyversary. Or sixteen and a half years of happiness!

PlayStation 4 is light years ahead of the days of Atari "Combat." Who'd have thought I'd be playing a soccer game which involved negotiating contracts, scouting internationally and setting up youth training programs?

Finally, a nod to the classic "Dumb and Dumber" which just made it out on Netflix. May every day bring a dash of (Lloyd) Christmas spirit.

No comments: