Saturday, November 22, 2014

RENT Pays Staggering Performance

Where to begin?

For starters, RENT is a way better show than I expected. The glimpses I'd caught on Netflix left a dark impression on me, but it's peppered with enough snappy remarks to keep things crisp.

Of course, the artistic quality of this cast and crew was off-the-charts, bringing out the best that the book and score had to offer.

Rather than styling an eloquent review, I'm just going to ramble some exclamations that ran through my mind as I watched it.

Sean - I can see why this was your dream role. Your voice is so rangy that I felt like I was in the presence of a professional rocker. The subtleties you brought to Roger's character made it utterly real.

Aaron - I don't know you, but it's hard to imagine a better fit for Mark's character. Your voice was a catchy thread that wove it all together.

Samm - Stunning as ever, with killer dance moves... the athleticism it takes to sing with full breath while doing all that is impressive. So happy to see you in such a featured role, and deservedly so. Your interplay with Sean was remarkable.

Chris Stanford - OMG dude! Those MOVES! I couldn't take my eyes off you. Seriously, if gay was a choice, you would be so heavily recruited after that performance.

Kallie - Good to hear your voice from onstage again. Was I dizzy, or did I see someone playing your chest like bongos at one point?

Aimee - Way to nail that phone call scene and help set the tone for all the fast-paced fun. You can be my policewoman anytime! Though I'd rather work a spelling bee with you. :)

Chris Terven - Do you weigh less than me now? I loved your scene stage right when you towered over the other Christmas carolers. The way you use expressions to deliver comedy is as brilliant as you are.

Ben - I wasn't surprised to learn that you've got acting chops. Certainly there was no competition when someone had to be assigned to a spectacularly-dressed businessman. Congrats on the successful debut!

Nick - Ensemble roles are tricky, but you made a convincing drug dealer. Was that method acting?

Wendy - There are no words to praise what you've done highly enough. You're the Mozart of choreography.

Brett - Hug Wendy. I can imagine the myriad ways you tweaked greatness into near-perfection along the way. Congratulations to one of CPT's directing greats.

Austin - Your pipes just keep getting better. I wish you'd have had more solos out there.

Jake - Way to bust the moves out there. Not even Peter Pan could keep up with you.

Tony - That soulful solo of yours was gripping. Any cast with you in the ensemble is extremely deep.

Kristin - Your gracefulness is mesmerizing out there.

Eli and Rich - Dynamic duo. I thought of you guys often during the show. So many mikes. So much hanging on the timing and quality of the sound, which was flawless.

Alan - I run into people all over town who saw a Rent poster on display. I enjoyed the costuming so much that I wondered if you were really old enough to be retired.

Bridgette, Dorothy, Carol, and Wendi - I can't do a write-up without giving you props! Even though you didn't all do props, I mean, some of you had props, but... love you all.

Y'all inspired me in prepping for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. You've set the bar incredibly high.

No comments: