Sunday, November 9, 2014

Better Late Than Never: The Week Ago In Thanks

I'm late with this in part because of the crazy start to the week, when Dena's dad went into the hospital and suffered a ruptured spleen. It was rough, but enough to recognize again how convenient medical care is in this country. The doctor was able to perform surgery at 11:00 p.m. He and we were also reminded of the gift of family, as all six children living locally spent the day there to see him through. The hospital had some fantastic comfy recliners in it which made it easier on weary behinds.  And the ability to text has since helped keep everyone in touch with hourly updates.

My fantasy basketball team rocketed out to a blazing start. The first week is always a choppy sea of sharp rises and falls, but seeing my team leap 40 points in one night was a record.

I continue to be thankful that I can recognize my grumpiness whenever it starts to rise. I don't always head it off, but when I do it guides me to counting my blessings, and also to take some measures to get some rest, food, or whatever shortage is tripping the biological alarm.

I never get road rage. I'm grateful for that reflex which assumes that something wrong is going on in their life, and feeling sympathy for them.

Dena made some typically delicious brownies!

New horizons are opening for potential tutoring at ISU. I've learned of Marketing, MQM, and Finance departments that impose math requirements. Next semester when I'm no longer working at Heartland Community College, I may be able to find some great options there to help students.

The carports are 75% complete. Looks like we'll have roofs over all our cars' heads by winter!

A minister discussed the "virtue of hope" this week. The excitement of looking forward is one of the prime emotional pumps there is. And unlike other animals we were born with this ability.

Digging "Rules of Engagement," a sitcom that took a while to grow on me but like many shows, found its stride after a couple of seasons. Thankful to Shelby Miller for hooking me up with that.

Two more new students entered the fold. I continue to see people notice my car magnets.

I've sat with several coughing students this week and have not caught cold. Clear breathing = happy breathing.

The Cubs got Joe Maddon, the prized manager! The Bulls clobbered the Knicks on opening night!




No comments: