Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Scents And Sense: The Week In Thanks

When it's above 40 degrees in central Illinois in December, you make sure to spend some time outside. Today I got to participate in the high school basketball team's practice for the first time this year, a great chance to hang out with the guys including coaches. Then it was over to the gym after a day off, which was painful but not nearly as much as it could have been. We played touch football Sunday afternoon, and the last time I did that I was laid up with throbbing back and knees for a week afterward. This time I must have played defense just lazily enough to conserve myself.

Christmas is coming, and with Sean and Jennifer on the road in Florida the rest of the band will be leading the Christmas Eve service. After having two children in two years and dutifully attending every weekend, it's a pleasure to be able to help them enjoy a well-deserved vacation with confidence that things will be fine. And it's great to be part of a team that gets along so well.

Also, I was able to complete almost all of my Christmas shopping through Walmart, Kroger and Amazon. It was yet another reminder of the blessing of freedom in self-employment and the convenience of shopping in the United States.

Dena's knee continues to recover as she's into her physical therapy program, she's back to work and even heading back to the elliptical machine at the gym. During her week of rest we got plenty of time to chill out together since my semester was over.

The condominium association had a tremendously productive meeting recently. We approved a 7-year financial plan, next year's budget, the asphalt plan for our driveway and the lighting on our carports. We are fortunate to have such a mature group of leaders (including Dena) that understands the importance of a long-term view. And frankly that our neighbors are pretty sensible too, with the occasional hiccup. Dena invested a lot of time improving our communication of financial records when there were some frustrated e-mails fired off. Maybe no one I know e-mails with greater sensitivity and taste than her.

I've become a fan of scented candles, and it really helps make me thankful for our sense of smell. At this time of year, with baked goods on the make, there may be no better sense.

I delivered six dozen assorted cookies made by Kelly's Bakery to pay respect to the staff at the Normal Public Library. They're a central part of the friendly hum of the place, and they were delighted by the donation, which to me was about the least I could do considering what a wonderful environment it is for learning.

Random shout-out to Lisa Holland, who met up with me for an overdue lunch. She "gets" me more than most people not only because of her analytical mind but also because of her natural open-mindedness and kindness; we can talk freely about almost anything.

I go into every year aiming to meet a flock of new acquaintances, and through Leadership McLean County, tutoring and other sessions I can easily name several uplifting memorable experiences that have brightened my day in some way.

I've watched a lot of my favorite show Undercover Boss these last couple weeks. It reminds me how powerful work can be in raising the happiness of others, not just making a buck.

2015 is less than ten days away; much has happened, and there's still more to look forward to. In this season of remembrance and preparation, hopefully we can keep celebrating today more so than any other.

No comments: