Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Thick-Skinned Morning

Dena's had to have her arm pricked a few times in the last couple days due to her successful arthroscopic knee surgery. She can be a seasoned nurse's challenge and intern's nightmare in trying to find a tappable vein due to what they labeled "thick skin."

We know that thick skin is an asset in other ways.

I'm most likely to grouch when I'm tired, which includes first-thing in the morning. Sometimes waking up is a fertile time for otherwise insignificant thoughts to seem disproportionately frustrating. Why did so-and-so do this, or not do this? That type of thing. Sometimes even petty thoughts leak in, of comeuppance or retaliation.

This morning one of those fogs gathered around my head as I stirred from the Tempur-Pedic. And then a blessed thing happened: I took awareness of the silliness of it. Such a trivial thing firing off an adrenaline burst through my system? Get real.

Sillier yet is speculating about someone's attitude. Is someone trying to sabotage me? Likely not. Even if so, there is an answer. Things happen for a reason; God is with us; there is a solution; things will be fine.

In this case, once the adrenaline had me awake, I'm up earlier than usual, able to get an unusually quick jump on the day's blogging and other plans.

Make it a great one!

No comments: