Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Love You All Differently

"At one point in my career, I also told players I would treat them all the same way. This is what I told my own two children. I thought treating everyone the same was being fair and impartial. Gradually I began to suspect that it was neither fair nor impartial. In fact, it was just the opposite. That's when I began announcing that team members wouldn't be treated the same or alike; rather, each one would receive the treatment they earned and deserved. This practice may sound discriminatory or sugggest partiality, but it is neither."

I agree. The longer I live, the more evidence mounts that people are different, satisfied by different things, and to strive for equality is to frustrate most all involved. Treating each person according to what makes them uniquely happy is rewarding.

No comments: