Monday, June 2, 2008

McDonald Scores Crucial Goal, Crushed in Face

We were winning 1-0 when the other team did a corner kick. Right off my leg and into my own goal.

Later in the game, we had figured out that their style was to dribble past us rather than doing much passing. I could tell that their wing was bracing for a crossing kick to their forward. I cleverly positioned myself between him and the streaking teammate, hoping that the shot would ricochet off my body.

What it did, is ricochet squarely off my face.

I don't know what happened in the next few seconds, but I believe that if I didn't have skin holding my skeleton together then my jaw would have landed on the next field. By the time my eyes worked again, I noticed that every player was frozen, staring in a state of shock.

"Are you OK?" someone asked. "Mrmph," I said convincingly. I noticed at this point that the guy who kicked the ball was now holding the ball waist-high. Must have been great comedy. Wished I'd have seen it.

No comments: