Sunday, June 8, 2008

My Favorite Month

My favorite month actually has no name, since it crosses two calendar months and is 33 days long.

May 20: My birthday; the day Dena and I started dating; the day I proposed.
May 31: My State Farm anniversary.
June 1: State Farm's new vacation year begins.
June 21: Summer solstice; longest day of the year.

During this month the Illinois weather shifts from a schizophrenic mix of winter/spring into full-blown summer warmth. Somewhere in there Memorial Day weekend falls, and around that time the heated condo pool opens. I find my sanctuary poolside, leisurely reading every book and magazine I can find, and chatting up friendships with neighbors both new and familiar. With the sun visiting until 8:30 at night, one can even head out after work to unwind after a busy day.

Maybe I should call this month Heaven!

No comments: