Saturday, June 21, 2008

Want Versus Will

"A willingness to be selfless suggests a begrudging aspect of doing what is required for the team. I wanted each player to be eager to sacrifice personal interests for the good of the group." -- John Wooden

That's easier typed than done. In last week's soccer victory, my happiness was tempered by the fact that I seemed to have disproportionately less playing time than others. We do a rotation on the honor system... come out when you're tired, or after you've been in a while. I'm in the physical condition such that "tired" always seems to come first. So as some players lingered on the field huffing and puffing, the temptation swelled to give in to frustration. But taking a deep breath and realizing that others in better shape are contributing more to the team that I can at the moment, and that the team contribution led to victory, restores the peace.

No comments: