Sunday, October 19, 2008

Beyond The Brick

"My karate sensei gave me similar counsel when I lived in Japan. In karate, if you aim for the brick, you may break some bones and embarrass yourself. Aim for the space beneath the brick, beyond the brick. When the brick is merely an obstacle between you and your target, it will yield." - Susan Scott

This week I anticipated a challenging conversation with a co-worker. I had in mind a conclusion that I wanted to be reached, but I prepared for anything. I looked beyond the conclusion desired from this particular five minutes, and toward the relationship between me and this co-worker over the long haul. Regardless of his conclusions here, the greatest priority of this conversation became not his "yes" or "no," but the openness and respect with which I asked and studied his opinion. By the time I reached his office, my mood was light, envisioning the peaceful success that this conversation would result in, regardless of the technicalities. The mood was pleasant, relaxed. And as it happened, he came to my conclusion.

No comments: