Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kansas City There I Went

Hidden Blog stayed silent while I was out in Kansas City, Missouri on Tuesday through Thursday visiting with a group of agents, my first opportunity to do so in fourteen years with the company. Remember my entry from last week about the humiliating meeting? That was a prep for this one, a mock trial so to speak in anticipation of the wide variety of pointed questions that might be asked. Like employee opinion surveys, the crowd can be notoriously grumpy about any number of matters. The prep meeting proved what I already knew - that I had imperfect knowledge based on only three months of recent experience in the department.

Like most things in life, the meeting worked out for the best.

First, our presentation was shortened to 1/2 hour. Second, my co-worker (who admitted that she'd said a lot of prayers the night before) did the entire presentation while I sat in the audience as supporting cast. Third, the leader of the meeting invited us to sit among the agents so there was plenty of time to enjoy the worthwhile experience of mingling. Fourth, the group was nothing like the dour image I'd been warned about - these agents had just completed a wildly successful month of selling life insurance and were on fire with enthusiasm! Finally, lunch was great and the agents made super companions.

Oh, and I got to drive a company car which was a hybrid. It fills up with 12 gallons of gas, and needed only 8 gallons to cover 360 miles!

No comments: