Saturday, October 4, 2008

Birthright or Birth Wrong?

"We were born to complain. As babies, we cried our hearts out to get what we wanted. When we were hungry, we cried and our Momma fed us. When we were tired, we cried and we were rocked to sleep. We cried to get our way all the time, and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, far too many are still using an adult form of crying - called complaining - to get what they want or to express their feelings of helplessness. but just as we learned not to such our thumb and sleep without a night-light we must also outgrow the habit of complaining." - Jon Gordon

I complain as much as the next adult, but I'm hoping that I'm more aware of it than the average person and that I can outgrow it. One simple rule, perhaps, is to keep "I" statements to a minimum. Bragging, self-centeredness and complaining are all special cases of I statements. I wonder what it would be like to cut them out for a week?

No comments: