Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wait

This is from my friend Paula Mitchell, another role model of positive living:

As we pulled out of the church parking lot, I turned to my husband to share the exciting news. We had both been preoccupied with concern for our 19-year old son Joshua. Neither of us knew the right answer for him and as parents, that is a disconcerting feeling.

“I heard it clear as a bell Dave…clear as a bell!” I told him. What I had heard that day was an answer to prayer; the answer we were searching for. It came at an unexpected moment. But it came. And when it did, it was crystal clear:

“Turn him toward me and I will take care of the rest”

Of course! This really was the only right answer. How could I have struggled so hard to find it? In my frantic search for just the right action step, I had completely overlooked the obvious! I couldn’t wait to tell my son!

I knew that in a few short hours we would be together at his Grandma’s house for Sunday dinner. Josh had his own apartment and was always grateful for home-cooked meals. He would be there and I couldn’t wait to tell him what I had heard that day at church!

Grandma’s house was as it usually is; warm from the oven, full of people, busy, inviting. When family gathered the house had an energy all it’s own!

As with most family gatherings, this one seemed to focus on the kids. The adults gave undivided attention to every word they spoke----enjoying the opportunity to learn about them and get to know them as young adults.

But I was distracted. There didn’t seem to be a “right” moment to talk to Josh. If I pulled him into some quiet corner, it was bound to raise eyebrows throughout the house. It may make people uncomfortable. It would surely make Josh uncomfortable. It would cause me to be rushed or make him unable to receive the message.

3 hours passed and I did not create the opportunity to share the exciting news with my son that God had whispered in my ear that day…..and it was all about him!

This time, as we pulled out of the drive from Grandma’s house, I turned to my husband to share my disappointment. I was disappointed with myself. Tears fell down my cheeks and I lamented the lost opportunity. I couldn’t explain why I had not carried through other than to say “the time just didn’t seem right”…… How lame! I had 3 full hours! As Josh said good-bye to us that night I was tempted to follow him out to his car, but I didn’t. I knew he had things to do and would be anxious to return to his apartment and his friends who were undoubtedly gathered there.

My husband listened. He really is so good at that. No judging, no reprimanding, just listening.

The second half of the drive home was quiet as I sat and looked out the window, kicking myself and wishing I could rewind the clock.

As we turned the corner onto Cumbria drive (our street), my husband picked up my hand and softly said “Honey, well looky there……”

Joshua’s car was parked in the driveway! This, in itself, was a miracle! But when I stepped through the back door and asked my son “what’sup?” his response told me everything I needed to know about the power and magnificence of God. “Not much, just kinda felt like being close to you guys tonight”, he said as if embarrassed to admit it.

God’s hand works every time and in God’s time. When the time is right ---- the time will be right. Wait.

We sat outside on the back porch and I shared what had happened that day at church with my son. The moment came…..and my son was grateful…..and I was blessed!

No comments: