Monday, December 1, 2008

Mr. Positivity's Journal

One of my new year's resolutions last year was to journal an attempt to be more positive for a month. One idea I had was to be more intentional about monitoring my moods - "what gets measured gets done," so how would someone become more positive without paying better attention?

Today it didn't take long for work to derail my attempt to monitor. My little notebook reads: "8:00, happy." I did think about it around noon, and again around 7:00, but there's definitely room for improvement!

Still, there was progress because my awareness was higher. During a meeting reviewing potential interview candidates a memory flashed through my head of a woman who we'd hired years ago and didn't turn out so well, being quirky to boot. I had the opportunity to get a laugh by making fun of that former co-worker, but held off. If the first step is to stop thoughts from becoming words, maybe the thoughts will eventually get tired and go away!

No comments: