Saturday, December 20, 2008

This Poem Is So-So

Why do people only write poems when they're madly in love with someone? Don't average people deserve sonnets too?

My friend,
I look your way,
And happen to make contact
With your medium blue eyes.

The light of day,
Touches your face,
Its fairly smooth skin,
About right for your age.

Your smile,
Shining with years of decent hygiene,
Radiating gentle breath,
As if you brushed before breakfast.

You walk,
Confident like a middle-class worker,
On the cutting edge of last week's fashions,
Nearly limpless.

Taller than the short,
Shorter than the tall,
Your wit makes me laugh sometimes.
A mind sharp enough to solve half my problems.

How blessed to have your friendship,
Whenever it fits your schedule!
When I was troubled and you happened to be around,
You mostly listened,
Carried the load if it wasn't real heavy,
Said the things I needed to hear, and not.
I thank God for all my friends sort of like you!

No comments: