Friday, October 9, 2009

99% Perspiration, 1% Show Up?

"I once heard a high school coach tell a kid that it was not his job to motivate players, that they should show up motivated. Well, I just shook my head. I could not disagree more with a statement like that. I believe the main job of a coach is to motivate. The main job of a leader is to inspire." - Mike Krzyzewski

Inspire how, coach?

"And for me personally, the best thing about my profession is that I can teach. The personal relationships that are developed, the impact that I'm able to have on the young people in their development as human beings, is incredibly worthwhile to me."

"Trying to do your best, learning about your limits, and then trying to extend them - this is the proper perspective for a leader to have. As teachers and coaches, we should remember that when mere winning is our only goal, we are doomed to disappointment and failure. But when our goal is to try to do our best, when our focus is on preparation and sacrifice and effort - instead of on numbers on the scoreboard - we will never lose."

So there it is - who doesn't feel better when they're growing in some way? Teachers do this naturally. Inspiration comes from lifting others up.

No comments: