Saturday, October 24, 2009

Kiwanis Young Professionals Club

On Thursday night I attended an introductory meeting of this newly forming club in our community. It's the product of both Bloomington and Normal Kiwanis Club efforts, targeting a group that I fall just on the fringes on, as a late-thirties, married person.

A second meeting was called for Tuesday night. I definitely like evening meetings more than crack-of-dawn ones, in fact it's a must-have for pretty much anything I do.

Kiwanis' has an appropriate and nobly stated mission of serving the communities and children of the world. Even though I'm a marginal "kid person" at best, in a sense we're all someone's children right? So I guess I qualify on that technicality.

To make another six-hour and $20 monthly commitment to anything, I'm thinking there's got to be a strong social element to it. It takes a certain kind of personality to inspire me, so I'll tag along a while and see what culture unfolds in the group before deciding whether or not I would fit.

No comments: