Sunday, October 11, 2009

Breathing Deeply

"It's over, I thought. No principal will ever look past my disability. It seemed clear that Tourette's had finally gotten the better of me for real. It had stopped me from doing the thing I had always wanted most to do: teach kids and let them find joy n learning. For a while I just sat there, watching cars whiz by.

By this point in the deepening summer, a thought that I'd been fighting for months was becoming more and more insistent. What if no one will hire me because I have Tourette's How many other principals are going to see me as merely a victim of Tourette syndrome instead of an educated and qualified teacher?

Then I breathed deeply and felt my lungs fill with air. I told myself to erase any thought of giving up. Plenty of doors had been slammed in my face before, and things somehow always managed to work out." - Brad Cohen

No comments: