Saturday, October 24, 2009

Stifling Fear's Fire

"What she didn't understand was that I personally could absolutely not use Tourette's as an excuse. Even if I believed that it was the reason I couldn't get a job - even if I knew for a fact that it was the reason I wasn't being hired - I couldn't let myself say those words out loud. That would give the reality of it too much weight. By that point, my quest to become a teacher was completely linked to my drive for survival. If I was going to exist with any degree of dignity and independence, then I had no choice but to prove that Tourette syndrome would never get the best of me." - Brad Cohen

In the smaller trifles of the day, we stand guard over the survival of our own happiness and dignity. Landslides start with loose pebbles. We choose to champion each moment.

No comments: