Friday, October 9, 2009

Passion With Patience

There's a difference between being involved and being committed. For years I've been the treasurer of our condominium board, and enjoyed it all the while. Meanwhile, other causes have come and gone, some deeply like Leadership McLean County or participation in the church band.

What's the difference? I think it's the balance between passion and patience.

When that commitment grows to a deeper level, and that passion kicks in and the activity becomes a part of your identity, you invest greatly in it. You spend time dreaming excitedly about what could be. And since the best laid plans often change, it takes an equal depth of patience to adapt that vision.

And frankly, I could hardly care less about home ownership! So all around me other Board members discuss matters of landscaping, maintenance and other items more passionately than me. Meanwhile I fulfill a basic and essential function without being overly uplifted or discouraged by the winds of change.

So I continue the march with fascination to see if there's a cause out there which captures not only my passion, but my patience. And by that time, I may be the longest-running condo board treasurer in the county!

No comments: