Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Let Biting Dogs Live

"Yield larger things to which you can show no more than equal right; and yield lesser ones, though clearly your own. Better give your path to a dog than be bitten by him in contesting for the right. Even killing the dog would not cure the bite." - Abraham Lincoln

Said another way, choose which hill you're willing to die on. What is the addiction to being right over every little thing? Even if we were perfect, does anyone truly care for a perfect person? People come to like those who are similar, and we're all similar in our vulnerability.

Today I was in a meeting on a topic in which I had all the answers. And other people had many of the answers too. So as much as I could, I sat quietly, until someone asked my opinion. When someone said something wrong, I sat quietly, and someone else corrected things. Successful is the person who chooses the role of helper over the role of master.

No comments: