Monday, July 19, 2010

Burning In The Rain

With rain clouds threatening my soccer game today, I wondered whether I'd be able to get a good cardio workout in. The game was scheduled for 6:30. It was 5:00 now. Why not go for a 3 mile run?

What's the downside? It was about to pour rain, maybe hard, based on the dark clouds moving in. So? When I run I get wet anyway. Rain in the fall would be chilling. But in the middle of a July heat wave, it's like being in a refreshing shower. Worst case scenario, I figure, I wear out my legs a bit before the game and lose a step of quickness. But it's not so big a deal, since (1) we usually have enough subs to compensate, and (2) we're scheduled to play the dominant team in the league, so my health probably wouldn't be the difference between winning and losing.

Enthused, I sprinted out into the falling droplets, which indeed turned into a steady downpour. I managed to cover the distance at about a 7:45 mile pace. And five minutes later, a quick check of the activities hotline revealed that the game was cancelled.

Winner!

No comments: