Monday, July 5, 2010

Smilin' Island

"The Yogic path is about disentangling the built-in glitches of the human condition, which I'm going to over-simply define here as the heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." - Elizabeth Gilbert

On this day-off celebration of American independence, I awoke around noon and gathered thoughts gradually. Deciding to get the day off right with some exercise, I found myself in unhurried contentment while cruising in the Saturn toward Four Seasons. At that moment it didn't matter how many red lights I encountered or how many people cut me off. I was complacent and happy, just enjoying the day. Why ever leave this mental station? Why feel the need to dive into the water and swim for some bigger island? Why despair when a seagull makes an unwelcome deposit on my head, when there's an ocean of cleanser around? It's a healthy thing, to choose to stay on the smilin' island, ignoring the calls of the sailors offshore.

No comments: