Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Working High

"It's amazing how everything changed for me when my thinking changed. When things change inside you, things change around you. You get along better with other people; your business improves; your health improves; everything improves. Do I believe that motivation and right attitudes are important? You bet!" - Zig Ziglar

Two months ago I fielded the theoretical question about the one thing that I would change about my job:

http://joemcdonald.blogspot.com/2010/05/take-this-job-and-mull-it.html

Guess what happened? Tyson and I took time to draw a picture of what that extra employee's job duties would look like. A year ago we began sharing that vision with management. These things take time. Like prayers, these were submitted in earnest, but understanding with peace that it may never happen. Budgeting for next year began, and we re-submitted the plan, requesting the extra employee.

Monday morning a management meeting began. It was revealed that with the end of the college year, a new employee was coming on board. Who would like to have this employee?

It is not easy to take on a new employee. Like a sudden opportunity to adopt a newborn, it's a mighty challenge to engage such a responsibility without preparation and do it well. It was the combination of a persistent vision and patient faith that allowed me to roll out onto the table a handful of duties that we could give the new person.

Today it was finalized - Rob will join the team on Monday. The "one change" has come to pass. The inner resolve that "everything's gonna be all right" has made it more so than at any time since I took on this job. At last, we seem to be fully staffed.

No comments: