Sunday, July 11, 2010

Seeing Things Differently

Time for the annual eye exam.

Y'all probably know that dehydration is a leading cause of eye strain. I wisely schedule my exams at the end of the work day, which does wonders for the get-out-of-school-early feeling, but not much for the ability to read tiny letters across the room. The combination of 8 hours of computer screen reading, a couple previous days of sun tanning, and old contact lenses helped ramp up the challenge. A game I tilted in my favor by declaring surrender practically as soon as my rear hit the chair. Fortunately, it doesn't necessarily matter how good my vision is at the moment. They're able to factor in those other elements and determine that my distance vision has actually improved during the last year. As Dr. Rocke dangles the Viewmaster-hanging-from-a-crane thing in front of me, he declares that I'm sporting 20/15 accuracy. As a guy once (and probably still) registering 20/200+ without corrective lenses, this is sweet music. On one hand, people marching toward 40 aren't expecting to hear that their health has improved when they visit the doctor. On the other hand, I guess I had noticed greater success in squint-guessing what the blobs on the scale were reading in the morning. "They" claim that my superb close-range eyesight will slip in the coming years... what do "they" know? Yeah okay, it's Dr. Rocke again, so the odds are good. But that should give me enough time to trade the actuarial gig for a career in refereeing or astronomy.

1 comment:

laser eye surgery cost said...

Having eye exam is really very important and it should also be a part of our health maintenance. Many vision problems have no warning signs or symptoms and can cause permanent vision loss; or the problem may worsen without proper treatment. Annual eye exams are the best way to ensure a lifetime of good vision.