Sunday, August 1, 2010

High/Low Week 30, 2010

Today's duet performance of "El Shaddai" and "How Beautiful" at Calvary United Methodist Church went perfectly. Evelyn and I had rehearsed it a hundred times, and most every time I'd miss a chord here, a word there. This morning, for two services, we nailed everything perfectly. Leading up to our segment, my mind was infected by some of the painful lessons I learned while a member of that church. And they were snuffed out by reunion with old friends. By the satisfaction with the results of our weeks of practice. By the unpredictable good fortune that the songs we chose were exactly the right length - they ended just as the last patron returned to their chair after taking communion. As usual, there was plenty of affirmation that the music came out right.

This was my first week of work with a full staff in two years. Jennifer dove right in to a handful of projects. Rob and I spent hours together, and I enjoyed the chance to ease him into the geography and vocabulary of the department and company. Intern Emily is making great progress on her final presentation. Paulette made a breakthrough in upgrading our computer system.

Inexplicably I was on fire on the basketball court! At one point I practically dragged a guy to the basket while scoring a bucket, and someone yelled "How'd you like riding that horse?" to my defender. Acrobatic layups. Three pointers. Pull-up jumpers. It was all working. And in the half-hour warm up beforehand I got the heart rate up to nearly 150 beats a minute, more than usual.

Friday night was a ball with Darren and Jane. As you could see from the earlier post, the tabloids were all over us. I was introduced by Jane to "pirate English" setting on Facebook.

I had no plans on Saturday night while Dena went out with an old school friend. That is, until a neighbor invited me over to play a couple games of euchre, which we won in dramatic fashion and also munched on Papa John's pizza and Emack & Bolio's ice cream.

Dena got some prospects on a possible bank compliance part-time job in the wake of layoff from the Rose Publishing job. She also got an early birthday present of membership in the Four Seasons health club.

The summer hits keep on coming!

No comments: