Saturday, August 21, 2010

Routine Machine

The summer Saturday morning routine was in full swing today.

7:00 Wake up (usually without an alarm, since the body's looking forward to getting up).

Guzzle twenty swallows of water, to get hydration going for basketball (more drinking later). I used to play for hours without a water break, but nowadays my legs feel like jelly unless properly fueled.

Wash face. So that fingers are clean in order to...

Put in contact lenses. And also so that the skin is dry for a good...

Shave.

Brush teeth, because morning breath has no place around others at the...

7:30 Elliptical machine at health club. 30 minutes minimum so legs loosen up for...

8:00 Basketball. For 1.5 to 2 hours. Un-air-conditioned sweatfest. I rarely take practice shots, yet recently they've been falling with astonishing accuracy.

10:00 5-10 minute cool down on the treadmill. Slip out of shoes and socks and into slides. Shirt comes off when I get to the car. Ahhh...

10:15 Clothes banished to the downstairs hamper.

Upstairs to the bathroom scale. Yep, lost about 4 pounds and around 1% body fat (an outright lie, I need a new scale).

Remove contact lenses. These are aggravating in dried-out eyes.

Downstairs to the kitchen. Fill 50 oz. water bottle and start taking a few gulps every few minutes for the next several hours. Otherwise a wicked headache sets in by 2:00 or so. I'll fill up the bottle at least one more time before the day is done.

Pop on "Baseball Tonight" episode on DVR to catch last night's highlights (and get some inside scoop for fantasy leagues). Meanwhile, go through series of stretches for calves, hamstrings, knees and back. I CANNOT overemphasize how beneficial this has been for my sports career. Back and knee pain had me about ready to retire a few years ago. Now I'm a regular early-round selection when teams are picked, and I'm able to work out my legs six days a week.

Special treat: Alternate ice and heat on a jammed pinky finger for a half hour to get the swelling down. Worked like a charm.

11:00 Poolside with a good book (in this case, about famous footballer Red Grange). A half hour on each side, perfect, no burn, all tan. Fresh air, neighborly conversation. Quick refreshing dip.

12:00 Get protein-rich lunch cooking, duck upstairs to clean up.

After a tasty meal, the afternoon is free for whatever purpose. More reading, T.V. watching, fantasy baseball, condo board work, blogging, guitar playing, laundry... Today it was a mix of each, sitting in the recliner to let legs rest with the LLWS on the tube and book in hand. That is, until it was time to give Hidden Bloggers a shout!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not originally from Jersey Shore are you?? I'm seeing a faint resemblance to their "GTL" way of life here!! Do I need to worry!?

Joe McDonald said...

Whoa, didn't even know what that meant till I Googled it, that is so on target. I'm probably not worth a reality show unless I can drum up some drama with my friends and family. Let's think about some good controversy, see what we can stir up at the next family gathering.

Anonymous said...

Only kidding, Joe. If I had half the dedication for persistence and routine I'd be a happy girl! Luckily seeing a glimpse into how you do it inspires me (as well as others I am sure) to be more that way!

As a side note, I do not watch the show myself...rather catch glimpses of the mtv series when kels has it on. Though, I quickly tire of everytoher word being bleeped out, so I make her change it! Drama or no drama, those *BLEEP* noises are so annoying! Not to mention the voices of some of the characters!