Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Man Completely At Peace About Broken Computer

A Normal man was reportedly upbeat about the justice involved with his crashed computer.

The Macintosh laptop was bought with much fanfare this Spring. A veritable and nearly unanimous avalanche of information from T.V., family and co-workers had touted Macs as superior to PC's.

"My old PC was constantly under attack by viruses," the man said, "so paying for various firewalls and defensive software was as sure as a Sunday offering. The computing speed would slowly sag month by month. About every three years or so, the computer would break and I'd need to buy a new one. And purchase another round of protection. It was time for a change."

The online store PowerMax provided a host of used Macintosh computers, and paradise began. Sentimental blog posts flooded the Internet as the wireless marvel allowed him to scribe oceanside. Critical Excel and Word business files were transferred onto the laptop which became a mobile desktop.

"On Tuesday evening I was working up some documents to send to our condominium association's attorney pronto, as part of an important and time-sensitive financial matter. Suddenly my cursor turned into a spinning rainbow wheel. 'What a fanciful creation we have here!' I thought. Even after several minutes, and despite the fact that the only way to snap out of it is to power the whole thing down, I was fascinated by that wheel. I felt like a kid with a big, free lollipop all to myself! Behind some impenetrable glass, but still..."

After rebooting the computer and losing the work, it flashed signs of life.

"First a flicker of light, than total endless silent blackness. If I were with God just before he made the sun it couldn't have been any more peaceful. I felt so unworthy of that precious moment, I just had to reboot again. This time it made a musical sound like an angel, and then an endless empty blue display. Maybe it was a window into heaven!"

The emotional power of the moment launched a celebration of rebooting, unplugging and re-plugging devices in all manner of combinations, and vigorous shaking and flipping of the machine.

"I let it sit quietly for an hour, and when I returned, it was the very same. As if it were waiting patiently just for me, a puppy on my front porch."

While others analogized a defiant smirking teenager holding the freezer door wide open, he quashed it with unbridled zest for the future. PowerMax backs all purchases with a 90 day warranty. The purchase was 104 days ago.

"I'm just thankful that there's a warranty at all," he said affably. "When you buy a nearly new product, why in the world would you expect it to work at all? It's sad in a way that people are so demanding with companies trying their very best. Even if it were an expensive product it'd be hard to understand. But when you're talking about $700, it's plain silly. I even thought about typing a letter and enclosing a bonus check since it lasted three whole months. But," he added, "I don't have a computer."

Upon researching the problem, he learned that this particular model has a history of problems with hard drives, so much so that a recall offer was in play. At least, it had been until three days before his hard drive shut down.

"Faith moves mountains," he said while heading out to a computer cafe. "Sometimes, right into your path. The path where everyone told you to go because it was mountain-free. It may be a little harder to see the 'No Mountains Here, Seriously!' billboards now, being pinned under the mountains and all, but you know which way mountains point? Up. And that's where my spirits are."

No comments: