Sunday, August 1, 2010

Salt

There's little to say about my opinion of Angelina Jolie. I know she was and likely is connected with Brad Pitt. She has at least three kids, several adopted. Her dad is actor Jon Voight, and she looks it in the eyes.

I'm not sure if I'd seen any of her movies. I remember her being in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Since it looked like a multimillion dollar two hour excuse to get a sexy woman punch and kick people in a crowd of CGI bad guys, I passed. I saw previews of her new movie Salt, which contained lots of punching and kicking. I was ready to pass.

Fortunately Jane suggested it for a Friday date night. Bingo!

Yes, it was a movie with a 110 pound woman (Jolie, as CIA agent Evelyn Salt) subduing heavily armed crowds of men in hand-to-hand combat (wracking my brain here... no woman victims that I can remember). Often with punches and kicks. Occasionally with hand grenades. Several times with a gun. Once with a whiskey bottle.

But there was also international intrigue with national nuclear holocaust on the line. Vagueness over whose side Salt was really on. World leaders at gunpoint. Countdowns to blastoff. Bulletproof glass.

There was a dash of romance, as Salt's husband saved her from death early in the movie and their relationship's back story gradually unfolds.

In the end, enough of the good guys lived to inspire patrons to walk out in high spirits. Especially if you were hoping the door would be left open for Salt 2.

No comments: